Sunday, December 27, 2009

Book review: Knife(Spell Hunter) by R.J. Anderson






Knife by R.J. Anderson
***
( in US, and Canada I believe, titled Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter.Sequel to be released in January: UK title Rebel, US title Wayfarer. A bit confusing with different titles I think)

Pages(paperback): 320

Published: January 2009

Publisher: Orchard Books

Description from Goodreads:
Forget everything you think you know about faeries. . . .
Creatures full of magic and whimsy?
Not in the Oakenwyld. Not anymore.
Deep inside the great Oak lies a dying faery realm, bursting with secrets instead of magic. Long ago the faeries mysteriously lost their magic. Robbed of their powers, they have become selfish and dull-witted. Now their numbers are dwindling and their very survival is at stake.

Only one young faery—Knife—is determined to find out where her people's magic has gone and try to get it back. Unlike her sisters, Knife is fierce and independent. She's not afraid of anything—not the vicious crows, the strict Faery Queen, or the fascinating humans living nearby. But when Knife disobeys the Faery Queen and befriends a human named Paul, her quest becomes more dangerous than she realizes. Can Knife trust Paul to help, or has she brought the faeries even closer to the brink of destruction?

Talented newcomer R. J. Anderson creates an extraordinary new fantasy world and weaves a gripping tale of lost magic, high adventure, and surprising friendship in which the fate of an entire realm rests on the shoulders of one brave faery rebel.


My opinion of this book:

I don't feel like adding much to the book description from Goodreads, because it's a very good description of the book. What I would like to add is how much I absolutely LOVED this book! Mrs. Anderson almost made me feel like I was watching a movie instead of reading a book. The places and the creatures where so easily imagined into life. I bet this story could make a great movie(a Disney picture perhaps or a animation?), I know I would love to see Knife on a big screen.

The friendship between Knife and the human Paul is beautifully written, it is warm and heartbreaking at the same time.

When I thought I knew how the story ended Anderson made a little twist here and a turn there leaving me surprised. The story wraps up neatly and has no cliffhanger ending but it leaves the reader with unanswered questions and fortunately the sequel comes out on January 7th. I've already pre-ordered it!

I think Knife deserves a whole lot of more attention because it is a great book, that's why I have decided that my January contest will be all about Knife. So drop by again soon!


My rating of this book:
5 out of 5 stars.
 
If you have reviewed this book let me know and I'll post a link to your review below.

Want another opinion on this book? Check out these reviews below:

  • Steph Su Reads: "The world of FAERY REBELS is instantly engaging, a space filled with danger, betrayal, creativity, and hope." 
  • Serendipity: "Before I say anything about this book, I have to say I just loved it. I loved it so much, that .."
  • Angieville: "All in all, a perfectly pleasant middle grade/younger YA novel and recommended for those who enjoy solid world building, strong friendships, and the fey. "
  • The Story Siren: "Another fantastic debut novel! This book was just full of awesomeness." 
  • FANTASTIC BOOK REVIEW: "The story is beautifully written and the plot flows effortlessly and wraps you up like a blanket and makes you just want to cuddle the book and never let it go."  
  • Juiciliciousss Reviews: "OMG. This book was really, really good. I loved the Knife's wit and her independence. "