Thursday, November 25, 2010

Book review: Storm Warning by Toni Anderson



Since almost all of my reviews are of young adult novels I feel that I have some responsibility to warn the readers when the novel I review is unsuitable for younger readers.


*This review is of an adult novel, the book contains some of the following ingredients: language, alcohol, sex and abuse.*


My summary:
Ben Foley is an undercover DEA in Columbia, something goes terribly wrong and his partner Jacob gets killed. Ben promises that he will catch the culprits and shutdown their drug dealings once and for all. Clues takes him to Scotland. A call has been made from Sorcha Logan's cottage, but is she a drug dealer? Has she been set up? If so who can be after her?

A little teaser:
Terror reared up like a shadow. Her fingers scrabbled and found the switch. But the relief lasted only until she'd flicked it down and nothing happened. Bloody hell.

My thoughts:
I don't normally read all that much adult books but the cover on Storm Warning caught my eye on Netgalley and the synopsis intrigued me so I decided to give it a go. Storm Warning was a fast paced action paced read, it had lots of suspense, romance and some steam as well. Both of them main characters were well crafted and I instantly connected with them. For me connection with the characters from the get go is very important, if I don't it is extremely hard for me to get involved in the story.

I fell for Ben Foley almost the minute he was introduced. Ben had a rough upbringing and now he's just watched his partner died in front of his eyes, things like that can make anyone want to crawl back in their own shell. Ben has sworn he'd take down the drug lord and his companions and traces leads him to Scotland, in a little village by the sea. Not the best place to be when you're terrified of water. Author Toni Anderson has shared some pictures from this village, I think it is great to really get to see the location where this story plays out.

The main character Sorcha has a lot of things in common with Ben, and the better acquainted they get the more difficult it becomes to ignore. Almost from the moment the two of them meet the reader feels the chemistry, even if both does their best to dislike the other.


Sorcha has a gift she hasn't really been aware of before, she thinks that she might be going crazy and that she'll end up locked away in some lunatic asylum. If I were to complain about something it would be that I would have loved for Sorcha's gift to be explored further, I don't know if there will be a sequel but I sure would have loved to read more about Sorcha and Ben. 

The cover:
The more I look at it the more I love it...the lighthouse in the background and the stormy sea.

My rating of this book:
4 stars out of 5. I devoured this novel, turning pages to find out who is the bad guy?

Want a second opinion? Check out these reviews written by some of my book blogging friends:
Check out Nina's review over at J'adore Happy Endings


Storm Warning by Toni Anderson
Published: October 2010
Pages
: Kindle version
Publisher
: Carina Press
ASIN: B004322F9A
Full disclosure: Review copy from Carina Press via Netgalley.

6 comments:

  1. Yay the box is back :D
    I always thought this was a YA book, little do I know

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds so great!! I will probably have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like my type of book. I love books with action, suspense and mystery, with a touch of romance thrown in. I love the cover too.

    Cheers!!!

    http://j9books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, seductive cover plus awesome review? I better read me this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ladybug,

    I have been following you for about a month now, and I really love your blog. I would like to give you the Versatile Blogger Award, as you focus on many different types within the paranormal genres. You can get your award here (http://j9books.blogspot.com/2010/11/versatile-blogger-award.html)

    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this one before. It sounds pretty great to me. And I agree, that cover is very eye-catching!! I'm definitely gonna check this one out =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)