Thursday, September 8, 2011

Book review: Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford

Five things you should know about Carter:

1. He has a stuttering problem, particularly around boobs and belly buttons.
2. He battles Attention Deficit Disorder every minute of every day...unless he gets distracted.
3. He's a virgin, mostly because he's no good at talking to girls (see number 1).
4. He's about to start high school.
5. He's totally not ready.

My thoughts:
It's been two years since I read GreenBeanTeenQueen's excellent review of Carter Finally Gets It and I finally got around to listening to this book on audio. Now I have to ask myself, why did I wait this long? This book was great

Author Brent Crawford haven't forgotten what it was like being fourteen and even though I'm a girl who is way past fourteen I had no trouble relating to Carter. I laughed out loud so many times, I couldn't listen to this book in public. 


Crawford addresses many serious topics in this coming of age novel but he does so with lots of humor. Carter is a character with his issues like any other normal teen. Carter isn't a perfect jock, or a swimmer or the perfect boyfriend, but he does his best but sometimes things just doesn't go as planned. I loved Carter as a character, he had such a great voice. And speaking of voice Nick Podehl does an excellent job narrating the story.


Cover:
Okish


My rating of this book:
- I'm running over to Audible to get the next book about Carter ASAP.



Want a second opinion? Check out these reviews written by some of my book blogging friends:
GreenBeanTeenQueen
Eating YA Books


Want to know more?
Add Carter Finally Gets It to your Goodreads wish list.
Visit Boobspeak(the books homepage)
Follow Brent on Twitter 

Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford
Published: 2009
Pages(paperback): 304
Publisher: Hyperion
ISBN: 1423112466 (ISBN13: 9781423112464)
Full disclosure: 
My copy was a audiobook purchased from Audible.

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.

3 comments:

  1. Dunno about that virgin point on his list, so what, it's only high school, oh kids these days

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's just boys these days.. Isn't virginity on many fourteen year old boys mind?(That doesn't necessarily mean that they do the deed). I remember the boys in my class and that is what now.. Hm.. 14 years since I was fourteen. I could relate because I've been fourteen and heard the boys talk :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this one - I think this one looks great. I've been wanting to read it since like 2? years ago Ally Carter mentioned it at one of her signings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)