Monday, April 25, 2011

Book review: The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder


My summary:
After moving into town about a year ago April Bowers is suddenly discovered by one of the most popular girl in school, Britney Taylor. Britney takes April under her wing on one condition; that April swears to abide by the lipstick laws...

My thoughts:
With The Lipstick Laws author Amy Holder has written a funny contemporary novel, but it is not all fun n' games there's some serious subjects being addressed in this novel. An important message is about accepting yourself and your body. The Lipstick Laws reminds us that we all have our flaws and insecurities that's just part of who we are. In my opinion there can never be enough YA novels addressing this important subject. There are so many teens struggling with self-acceptance. We can't all look like supermodels, just imagine what a boring world we would live in if that ever happened.


April, the MC, is a character who does what many of us might to, she seizes the opportunity to be popular. Britney turns out to be quite the controlling bully and one can easily imagine why other girls is scared to stand up to her. A pet peeve of mine was the way April, treated a guy named Delvin, I found it hard to believe that April could be so blind to her own actions. I must admit that I didn't really like the love interest in this novel, my heart rooted for the geek, not Mr. Hottie. Despite of this minor issues of mine The Lipstick Laws was a respectable and entertaining debut novel.

Fans of It Started with a Dare by Lindsay Faith Rech(check out my review) The Lipstick Laws will be right up your alley.

Book trailer:


The cover:
Makes me wish I had lips like that! I mean I accept my lips the way they are LOL ;)

My rating of this book:
3.5 stars out of 5

Want a second opinion? Check out these reviews written by some of my book blogging friends:
The Story Siren
Coffe Table Reviews
Palm Books Journals
Miss Page-Turner's City of Books
J'adorehappyendings
P.S. I Love Books
i.eat.words.

Want to know more?
Add The Lipstick Laws to your Goodreads wish list.
Visit Amy Holder's homepage 
Read Amy's blog 
Follow Amy on Twitter

The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder
Published: April 4th 2011
Pages(paperback): 240
Publisher: Graphia Books
ISBN: 9780547363066
Full disclosure: 
ARC received from Graphia Books(a Houghton Mifflin Harcourt imprint) via NetGalley. 

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, The Lipstick Laws is funny and features serious topics at the same time. I enjoyed this one,too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)