Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Book review: Snapped by Pamela Klaffke


Since almost all of my reviews are of young adult novels I feel that I have some responsibility to warn the readers when the novel I review below is unsuitable for younger readers.


Guest review:
The review below has been written by my younger sister, Daydreamer. Here's a short intoduction of my sister: She is 25 years old and a lover of books just like me, she recently finished her studies(I guess that shows in her opinion about drinking wine on a Tuesday) and she is working as a radiograph at a Norwegian hospital.

*This review is of an adult novel, the book contains some of the following ingredients: language and alcohol.*

My summary:
Sara B. is the co-founder and star-photographer of the stylemagazine”Snap”. She does the magazines Do’s and Don’ts-column every week, and hence she is now solemnly responsible for wrecking thousands of people’s self-esteem over the years. And she actually loves her job. At least that’s what she thought until Eva B. and F*ing Parrot Girl entered her life. Suddenly Sara isn’t all that sure of what is hot, and what is not. F*ing Parrot Girl is probably a DO, but is definitely trying to f*ing hard to be one, and Sara would rather do several grotesque things to herself, than to put Parrot Girl in this week’s DO-list. And that decision is the first step towards the turn-around of Sara’s life.


My thoughts:
Snapped takes you head first into the world of fashion, and the life of a woman who is starting to see that her time as a trendsetter and style icon may be over. Bordering forty, she still tries to maintain the same lifestyle she did as when she was twenty, with more or less success. When the younger and trendier Eva B, a big fan of Sara, and an even bigger fashion enthusiast, suddenly and sneakingly is competing for Sara’s job, she finds herself struggling to keep up.

The raw and uncensored language in this book is refreshing. Nothing is sugarcoated, and I really like that. I also love that Sara is allowed to drink whatever, whenever, and still there is no mentioning of alcoholism. Why CAN’T you have a bottle or two of red wine on a Tuesday? 

This is a high-speed book, which meant I almost didn’t have time to turn the pages, ‘cuz then it would have speed right on without me! Sometimes that could be quite exhausting, and I had to put on the breaks, take a u-turn and go back a bit. This almost always happened when Sara was thinking, or rather ranting on inside her head, and I would lose her train of thoughts as well as my own. Despite these minor set-backs it was an enjoyable read, and a good piece of “chick lit” in the same spirit as M. Keyes books, but with a hint more darkness to the main character. 


Make sure to stop by this blog on Friday to read an interview with the author.


Snapped by Pamela Klaffke
Published: Januar 2011
Pages(paperback): 400
Publisher: Mira
ISBN: 0778327469 (ISBN13: 9780778327462)
Full disclosure: 
Review copy provided by Katie from Midas Public Relations

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.  



2 comments:

  1. It does sound good. Haven't read any set in the fashion world yet, so will definitely keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. Sounds good, and yes something I would read

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)