Monday, October 17, 2011

Book review: The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

A letter arrive 50 years too late and Edie Burchill reads it even though the letter is addressed to her mother. Edie sets out on a journey to Milderhurst Castle, where the Blythe spinsters live. During WW II Edie's mother came to live with the Blythe family. The oldest Blythe sisters, twins, has taken care of their youngest sister Juniper since 1941, Juniper lost her mind when her fiance left her in 1941.

Edie dig's deep down into her mother’s past, a past she has kept hidden all these years. What happened at Milderhurst castle?

My thoughts:
Welcome into Milderhurst castle and this wonderful Gothic inspired tale. I'm sure you do not wish to leave until you've closed the final page, at least I know I didn't. The Distant Hours was a true page-turner(perhaps a bad choice of word since I listened to the audiobook). I've heard incredible things about Kate Morton's books but The Distant Hours was the first one for meg. Kate is an incredible storyteller and she writes beautifully. I would say that this is is a book to save until winter and enjoy when the snow is falling heavily outside your windows. 

Sure The Distant Hours is a brick of a book but it doesn't feel that way when your all caught up in the mystery of the story. When I thought I knew something the story took an unexpected turn. Sometimes the setting was a bit eerie and it felt a bit like I was reading a ghost story thanks to Juniper, she was one scary character.

The Distant Hours is reminiscent of The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and I feel pretty confident that those who loved TTT will fall for this book as well.

Although this is an adult title older young adults might like this one.


Book trailer:


Cover:
Lovely.


My rating of this book:




Want a second opinion? Check out these reviews written by some of my book blogging friends:
The Book Nerd Club
Confessions of A Book Addict
Beyond Books

Want to know more?
Add The Distant Hours to your Goodreads wish list.
Read Kate's blog 
Check out Kate's fanpage on Facebook 

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
Published: 2010
Pages(hardcover): 674
Publisher: Mantle
ISBN: 0230748325 (ISBN13: 9780230748323)
Full disclosure: 
I purchased the audiobook version of this novel from Audible

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely wonderful. Thanks for the review, Mari =)

    -Wendy from A Cupcake and a Latte: YA Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I`m gonna take your advice and read a Kate Morton-book this winter. I haven´t read any of her books yet but they sound mysterious and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this too, but I did think it took FOREVER to really get going. Once it did though I thought it was great. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books now too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a great trailer. This sounds like a very intriguing novel. Love a good mystery and the Gothic setting is always a plus. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always meant to try a Morton book, meant to is the key word in that sentence ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)