Thursday, January 26, 2012

Book Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...
My thoughts:
Another 2012 debut novel with a gorgeous cover, and a story to match! I made the mistake of starting to read Everneath right before bedtime one day. Big mistake. Seriously, this book will suck you in from the very start, and there's nothing to do about it but continue to read!

Everneath tells Nikki's story from the before and the after, and I loved how this let us see exactly what lead to her decision to join Cole in the Everneath, as well as how much had changed in the months she was gone. I could feel her desperation, her fear and anger, and even after getting to know the consequences, I could actually understand why she would make such a horrible decision. Because who of us haven't gone through times where the promise of feeling nothing - no hurt, no betrayal - would be very tempting?

Cole. Ugh, how I hated him. He has got to be one of the most manipulating characters of all time, and I just wanted Nikki to stay away from him. Or kill him, but the whole "immortal" thing makes that a little harder. And yet he's incredibly charming, sincere despite all the omissions of the truth he keeps making, and you can tell he's trying so hard to understand why Nikki wouldn't want to join him for all eternity.

I think my favorite part of Everneath, aside from the amazing use of old mythology in a new setting, was the relationship between Nikki and Jack. You can tell they have a history way beyond what's spelled out for us, and they are both so very willing to fight for what they have. Unlike many unhealthy YA romances, this is one I would happily let my (future) teenage daughter read about, as it shows true love, kindness and a connection beyond mere attractiveness.

Everneath is an amazing debut novel, one I'm sure will be getting many more five star reviews in the weeks to come, and I can't wait to read the yet unnamed sequel, as well as anything else Brodi Ashton might write in the future.

Cover:
So pretty! I'm a little tired of the girls in pretty dresses, but I still love this cover!

My rating of this book:



Want to know more?
Add Everneath to your Goodreads wish list
Visit Jodi Meadows' website
Read Jodi's blog
Follow Jodi on Twitter

Full disclosure:
ARC received from NetGalley


This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and online book stores like Amazon and The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store has free shipping to about 100 countries.

9 comments:

  1. I've read some mixed things on Everneath so it was fun to read all the things you liked about it. :) Brodi is a local author for me so I've been hearing about this one for awhile. I'll have to get my hands on it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, there are girls in red dresses everywhere, but yes still so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. tnx 4 reviewing/i want it badly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, HUGE mistake reading this before bed. I had so much trouble setting it down to go start dinner the other day! Like you, I absolutely loved it. Nikki and Jack were just so.... SIGH! <3 And Cole. ASHDSFKLFJ. He simultaneously intrigues me and pisses me off. I feel so conflicted when it comes to that ##^$&$*&#%.

    Fabulous review, I could not agree more. This book deserves all the praise it gets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that this book already had an established relationship which kept the book away from instant love. I loved the relationship and the dark background that they were living in. I know I can't wait for the second book after what Jack did in Everneath. It really was a story that I would call hauntingly beautiful.

    I'm glad you really loved this one. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed!! Most DEFinitely agreed!! :D Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The relationship b/w Nikki and Jack was very intense and I totally agree this is an amazing debut novel.

    Check out my review here - http://le-grande-codex.blogspot.com/2012/01/everneath-1-everneath-for-hollow-tour.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I reviewed this one last week too and absolutely loved it! It started off a little slow but once I got into it I couldn't stop reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)