Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Review: Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby

Meet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she’s called in the biz. The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn’t mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she’s sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett—teen superstar and the only celebrity who’s ever been kind to her—at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston. The money will be enough to pay for Jo’s dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good. Everyone wants to know what Ned’s in for. But Jo certainly doesn’t know what she’s in for: falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment.
My thoughts:

I didn't quite know what to expect from Shooting Stars, but what I got was a super cute, fun story about Zo Jo and her life as a sixteen year old paparazzo.

Jo is such a fun character. She is incredibly cynical for a sixteen-year-old, but she's had to grow up fast in the business she's in. I liked how she doesn't take herself too seriously, and how she's not afraid to use some dirty tricks to get the best shots. And most of all I loved how she has dreams for her future; even if she's making good money as a paparazzo that's not how she wants to spend the rest of her life, and she will do whatever it takes to follow through on her dream.

The whole story was so much fun, but there were definitely some serious issues worked in as well. The teenagers at the rehabilitation retreat are all there for good reasons, and even Jo might have some issues of her own, on top of the whole "I'm falling in love with my target" thing. And the way Shooting Stars ends was really just perfect, with enough surprises to keep it all interesting.

I would recommend Shooting Stars to anyone who likes a cute little romance, real teenagers with real problems, or just want to read something fun. And since nothing ever goes beyond some kissing, it is very appropriate for younger teens as well! (Although, you know, I'm 24 and loved it :p)

Cover:
Cute and fun - just like the book!

My rating of this book:



Want to know more?
Add Shooting Stars to your Goodreads wish list
Visit Allison Rushby's website (Such a cute website!)
Follow Allison on Twitter

Full disclosure:
ARC received from NetGalley


This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and online book stores like Amazon and The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store has free shipping to about 100 countries.

3 comments:

  1. I am so due for a cute romance read, so this definitely sounds it fits the bill! And I kinda love the idea of the 'falling in love with my target' type of love :) First review I've read for this and I'm totally sold - thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to read it :) Sounds like a cool YA book. Still, it is one for the borrow group

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)