Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book review: Night School by C.J. Daugherty.

Night School by C.J. Daugherty is a great young adult novel that will have you turning pages well into the night. I was never quite sure what I was reading and for that I loved this story. Is it a thriller or a paranormal mystery? I'm not sure yet, the jury will come with a verdict but that will have to wait until the next book in this series is out.


Allie is not doing so well after the disappearance of her older brother. She has been keeping the grief at bay by acting out, now she has done so one time too many. Allie's parents has had enough and they believe that sending her away to boarding school, the Cimmeria academy, might do Allie some good.

Cimmeria is one weird school but in spite of herself Allie quite enjoys life there. That is until the day she discovers that she has been surrounded by a bunch of liars. What is really going on at the Cimmeria academy?! Weird sounds, shadows in the night, people breaking into Allies room. Who can Allie trust?

My thoughts:
Are you ever charmed by cute guys with a sexy French accent? Do you like an author that can write a kissing scene that gives you that fluttery feeling of butterflywings in your stomach? Do you enjoy a boarding school setting where both students and teachers have their secrets? If the answer to any of these questions is yes then you have to go out now and grab yourself a copy of Night School. This has been one exiting and mysterious read. In addition to that I think C.J. Daugherty writes about dealing with grief in a great way. People react so differently. No, this is not a particular sad read but the novel do touch upon the subject early on.

This is a YA that stands out in the crow, it will have you turning pages and wondering where on earth the last few hours went off to.

Check out the book trailer:





My rating of this book:


/- I'm eagerly awaiting a sequel(which I know that C.J. just recently finished)!


I think you should follow C.J. Daugherty on Twitter and visit her homepage! For more thought out and eloquent reviews of Night School check out these fab bloggers Vivienne and Brodie.


This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.


I purchased my copy from The Book Depository.

16 comments:

  1. Great review! I have this one on my shelf and can't wait to get started on it, it sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Amy! I thought it an excellent read and I loved the fact that it was so mysterious.

      Delete
  2. Awww I love a romance that makes your heart aflutter. I've been meaning to pick this one up as well I def. have to! Great review Mari!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Giselle :) Def. pick it up, it was a great read. I'm looking forward to find out more about this big mystery that is featured in the next book in this series.

      Delete
  3. Adding to my read list! Love it thanks
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy every minute of the book as much as I did, Krista :)

      Delete
  4. What an awesome review! You've really got me wanting to read this one. I' m not just putting it on my list, but gonna buy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaay! I'm so happy to hear that :) May it bring you a few hours of excellent escapism.

      Delete
  5. This is already on my wish list and you've just reminded me why it's there, I really want to read this now - great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to it soon, hon. I'm soo eagerly anticipating the sequel. This was a very refreshing YA read.

      Delete
  6. Glad you liked it. I can't wait for the next book. Thanks for the shout out. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, since your the reason why I bought it. Might have been ugly otherwise LOL ;)

      Delete
  7. Totally agree with you. The book is different from many ya books out there. It makes me happy. I really enjoyed the book!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you did, I always get anxious when offering up a book to someone.

      Delete
  8. YAY! So, so happy to see you enjoyed this one,I think you know I loved it :D And C.J just finished the sequel? Squee! Now we just have to try endure the terrible wait until release - sigh.

    I love the mystery and secrets and the brilliantly crafted romance. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought this book on a whim, hoping for a good read! But not only did I get a good read I got an amazing story line too. I hope there's a 2nd and maybe even a 3rd installement to follow! I'm hooked :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)