Friday, January 11, 2013

Mari's favorites and least favorite YA novels of 2012

Back in 2012 I read a total of 92 books. My goal was to try and read 100 books but I'm very happy about 92. The most important thing for me is that I find enjoyable reads. Do you want to know which YA novels I loved the most in 2012 and which ones I felt really wasn't worth my time? Yes, of course you do, silly question.


Best sequel:

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver - "I continue to let myself be amazed by how seamless Lauren Oliver manages to create her dystopian world by drawing from a mixture of history (quite clearly inspired by WWII) and the constant threats of a world wide pandemonium. The setting feels both alien and familiar at the same time, which gives the reader a perfect blend of thrilling and ominous feelings."

Best fantasy written by Scandinavian authors(and it was translated into English last year so go check it out!):


The UK cover is the one to the left, the Swedish cover is the on the right side.  The Swedish cover is by far my favorite one.

The Circle by Sara B. Elfgren and Mats Strandberg - "I was glued to the page from the very dramatic beginning, it starts out with a suicide and that was a bit difficult to read about(but that's life, it is not always easy). There is no sugarcoating in this novel, which is part of why I love it so much, this is real yet this is also fantasy. "

Cutest contemporary(perhaps ever):
Meant to be by Lauren Morrill - I haven't reviewed this novel, but I should have. It was amazingly cute.


Runner up: Statistical probability of love at first sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Best retro read(new book, retro feel):

The Intern by Dillon Khan - Dillon Khan's many pop cultural references took me right back to a wonderful time of my life. I have a great life now, don't get me wrong, but a time where I was carefree with no big responsibilities. It was like walking down the memory lane, lots of musical references and each chapter was named after a song title. The last chapter was titled Bitter Sweet Symphony and for me that was just the perfect ending of a great story! I love that song.

The best "what on earth is going on here, oh, never mind because this sure is gooood and suspenseful":
Night School by C.J. Daugherty - I was never quite sure what I was reading and for that I loved this story. Is it a thriller or a paranormal mystery? I'm not sure yet, the jury will come with a verdict but that will have to wait until the next book in this series is out.

Best sci-fi/fairytale retelling:
Cinder by Marissa Meyer - AWESOME!

Best fantasy:

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman - I feel awful because I haven't written up a review of Seraphina, so to justify this excellent fantasy novel I will do a short praise of it now. Rachel Hartman is a master of language and music, a creator of memorable characters and fantastical dragons. Seraphina is the new bright and shining star on the sky of fantasy.

Best dystopian:

Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts - A wonderful, frightening dystopian debut novel. I liked how we got to view the changes in the human race from alternating perspectives(told by the four different main characters). Pandemonium doesn't count here

Runner up:
The Pledge by Kimberly Derting - Kimberly Derting can write an entertaining story, that's for sure.

Best author aka. the Queen of YA contemporary:
Melina Marchetta


BEST OVERALL READ in 2012(aka you don't want to miss this one):


Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - This story is both beautiful and heartbreaking and I L O V E it DEARLY! The story will appeal to young and old alike, especially women as this is also a story about strong women and friendship.




Most disappointing:
Struck by Jennifer Bosworth - Jennifer seems like one of the sweetest persons on earth + she has Norwegian heritage(how awesome is that?!) unfortunately Struck didn't blow me away.
Switched by Amanda Hocking -I’m sorry to say that although was super exited by the blurb for Switched, the story just never met my expectations. Honestly I’m pondering how on earth this could be a bestseller.

What did you think about my 2012 picks?


12 comments:

  1. I love Lauren Oliver. Have just read Before I fall, but it's one of my favorite books. Sirkelen is a good book, maybe a little bit like some of what has come before but I liked it;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have still to read Before I fall even though I've had it on my shelf for ages :O I am glad you liked The Circle, I loved the blend of fantasy and realism.

      Delete
  2. Great pics. I agree in several of these are awesome :)
    The rest I have not read yet :P

    Though I enjoyed The Trylle Trology by Amanda Hocking :)

    Will definitly read some of your tips :D

    Hope you get a great reading year in 2013
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll love the books you end up reading, Line :D

      Delete
  3. Oh yes oh yes oh yes!! Pandemonium and Code Name Verity - YES YES YES!!! Oh my gosh those books....made my cry...and bawl....and sob....and Goodness me they're so beautiful.

    Great list, dear! :) Love it!

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you, Sierra :D Those books made me cry too, Code Name Verity most of all.

      Delete
  4. I have Pandemonium waiting for me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, B. I am longing for the last installment in this trilogy to come out this year.

      Delete
  5. Great picks Mari!

    I actually haven't read any of those books yet, but a couple of them are surely on my list now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sylke :) If you should choose to read one I would suggest Code Name Verity.

      Delete
  6. I loved Seraphina too, and I need to get my hands on a copy of Code Name Verity so I can read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must read Code Name Verity, Tessa :) It was just a wonderful read.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)