Friday, July 30, 2010

Book review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


 My synopsis of Hex Hall:
Sophie Mercer is a witch, a witch who truly doesn't know how important it is to keep her true identity hidden. She has done one too many wrongs(last drop was a love spell gone oh, so, so wrong) and Sophie is being transferred to Hecate Hall, a boarding school for Prodigum behaving badly. Sophie meets other witches, werewolves, ghosts, demons, shapeshifters and vampires at the school and she soon realizes how little she knows about the world where she belongs.

Sophie's new roommate is the schools outcast, a vampire, but Sophie and the vamp quickly become great friends, and soon she discovers that the other students suspect her roomie of murder!

My thoughts:
Hex Hall was a fun and quick read and Rachel Hawkins has written a superb debut novel and her writing kept me glued through all the 336 pages(well as glued as you can be when being the mother of a five year old at least ;)). I was a very happy girl when I figured out that there were two more books to come in the Hex Hall series.

The plot run smoothly and I was never bored with the story or its characters. My only issue with it was that one of my favorite characters disappeared from the story(but it had to be like that!), but I have high hopes will see the person in one of the other Hex Hall novels.


The cover:
I don't think this cover does the story justice, I would never have picked up Hex Hall based on this cover alone. I just don't like it *sorry*

My rating:
4 out of 5 stars.


Want a second opinion? Check out: 
Adele's review over at Persnickety Snark
Kirsty's review over at The Story Siren

Liyana's review over at LiyanaLand!
Jenny's review over at Wondrous Reads
Sophie's review over at So Many Books. So Little Time

Want to know more?
Read Rachel's blog 
Follow Rachel on Twitter
Follow her on Facebook
Visit Rachel's homepage

Full disclosure: 
Own copy.


This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository(I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.