Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Wanted - Suggest "easy" read English classics for high school reading


Edit: Just recived a text saying it didn't have to classics just ordinary novels, now that I find harder really. The term classics narrows down the selection a bit at least.

My sister-in-law has just started high school for adults here in Norway, they are going to go through three years of education in just one year and naturally English is one of the subjects they are having. SIL visited me yesterday and asked me if I wanted to make a list of suggestions of English classics they could read and analyze in English class. She knows I love reading and she knows I read most of my books in English but the problem is that I haven't read all that many classics so I really need your help.
The books has to be a bit easy read, Jane Austen for example will be a bit to heavy(it was for me and I read English almost every day) I think, most of these people probably haven't read anything in English since they went to lower secondary school.
SIL borrowed my copy of Mathilda by Roald Dahl to start with something since I remembered that we read that book in high school(fun both for almost all ages). My next suggestion would be To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Dracula by Bram Stocker and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. But I'm guessing they're going to need more suggestions than that.
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with some titles to the list.