Monday, November 22, 2010

Book review: The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan



My summary:
16 year old Lena has a good life with her parents, Brian and Allie, and her younger brother, Cole, in their house close by the beach. Sounds like a perfectly normal family life, right? Well things aren't always as great as it seems; Lena's birth mother died when she was four years old, something her dad doesn't like talking about and then there's the fact that Lena sometimes wakes up on the beach in the middle of the night.

My thoughts:
I wanted to like The Mermaid's Mirror, I really did, but sadly the book was never more than okish for me. I always find it so hard to write a review of a book that I didn't really enjoy, it is hard because I know that as an author a book is your baby and it's not nice reading that people doesn't like. That being said I've always believed in honesty so I have to write down my true feelings.

As one probably guesses this is a story about family ties and mermaids and the main character Lena get's to visit the land below the sea. In the village of the merfolk the reader gets introduced to a whole bunch of new characters, I just couldn't keep track of them all and that for me was a huge minus. I couldn't really understand the point of it since so many of them were of little or non importance to the story. This should have been edited before publishing the book in my opinion.

Now it sounds like the book was all bad, it wasn't, occasionally I felt that the writing was excellent. I especially liked how the relationship between Lena and her little brother Cole was beautifully written. There is no doubt in my mind that L.K. Madigan can write and I would like to read her future work(and her first novel Flashburnout) to see how she evolves as an author.

The cover:
I love it, it is absolutely stunning.

My rating of this book:
2.5 stars out of 5



The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan
Published: October 2010
Pages(hardcover): 336
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt books for children
ISBN: 0547194919 (ISBN13: 9780547194912)
Full disclosure: 
Review copy from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt via Netgalley.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)