Thursday, January 27, 2011

A short book review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins



If you haven't yet read this trilogy then please check out my reviews for the first two books:
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire


My summary:
I've decided not to write a summary for Mockingjay just in case there's actually more people out there that haven't read the book. I wouldn't want to spoil too much for anyone.

My thoughts:
Yes, I cried when I read this last installment of The Hunger Games trilogy! I enjoyed it but I didn't love it, mainly because of the main focus in this novel. I don't think any of the sequels quite lived up to the first installment. To me it seems like a great many authors out there could benefit from spending some more time on their sequels to further improve the quality, I get the feeling that sometimes they're under an immense pressure to create a finished product.
It was a nice conclusion to the trilogy but it lacked that little extra and the epilogue just felt like a kind of cheap shortcut..Sounds like I didn't enjoy it? Well I truly did but it just wasn't how I wanted it to be.

The cover:
Is just wonderful and fits the covers on the rest of the trilogy.

My rating of this book:
4 stars out of 5

Want a second opinion? Check out these reviews written by some of my book blogging friends:
YA Vampire Books
Today's Adventure
Parajunkee's View
Rihannon Hart
Persnickety Snark
The Book Nerd Club

Want to know more?
Add Mockingjay to your Goodreads wish list.
Visit Suzanne Collins' homepage.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Published: August 2010
Pages(paperback): 398
Publisher: Scholastic Press
ISBN: 0439023513 (ISBN13: 9780439023511)
Full disclosure: 
Purchased 

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't like this one at all, I am afraid. I found it very disappointing after the first two. Such a shame as the first book rocked my world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read this yet. Haven't even gotten a copy but I'm planning on buying it soon actually. I can't wait =)

    All endings suck, period. Especially when the trilogy/series kicked major ass. I still want to read this though =) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked at the library today what was taking them so long, been waiting for M for some time now :( She did not know

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series. I keep hearing fantastic things about them, but I think I didn't pick the first one up because of the cover. I don't like them. I know, don't judge a book by it's cover, so I'm going to look for them at the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also enjoyed this book, but wasn't thrilled with it. It just didn't seem to fit in with the first two books. It kinda went all wonky and felt like there were too many loose ends when the book finished. But, nothings ever perfect and it did have and ending that I liked at least a little. :) Just glad Katniss ended up with the perfect guy for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're definitely right about sequels, they often don't live up to the greatness of the first book. But when they do, you know there is a great series to follow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)