Monday, April 4, 2011

Book review: Bless This Mouse by Lois Lowry



My summary:
The church mice living in St. Bartholomew’s church has been spotted inside the church one too many times and their leader fear it will bring on the Great X. The mice fear the Great X more than cats but on the feast day of St. Francis people bring their animals to church for blessing. That means the church might be filled with cats. Under the leadership of Mouse Mistress Hildegarde the colony has to save them from great danger and at the same time she has to keep an eye out for what her nemesis Lucreita is up to. Can one mouse’s courageous act during the celebration of St.Francis keep the entire population of church mice safe for the future?

My thoughts:
Bless This Mouse was such a charming and fun read and combined with beautiful illustrations this makes for a cosy read for the entire family. This was the first book I''ve ever read by Lois Lowry and it was in no way disappointing. In Bless This Mouse Lowry has created a colony of adorable little mice that the reader will fall in love with. Even if you hate mice I feel pretty confident that you wouldn't let this bunch go down during the Great X. 

All of the characters has something unique about them and I fell in love with each and every one. One example is Mouse Mistress Hildegarde, she is such a quirky and great little character. She sometimes has a fierce tongue but she is just in her ruling and she is intelligent. I have to add a former library mouse called Ignatius as well, he of course knows a lot of stuff from chewing through a great number of pages. I hope that these lovely mice might show up again in another adventure.

A perfect book to read with your family if you have younger children. I'm hoping this book might be translated into Norwegian so that I'll be able to read it to my son(I can translate while I read out loud but it is much easier reading a translated version out loud).

The cover:
Very cute indeed, perfect for the story.

My rating of this book:
4.5 stars out of 5

Want a second opinion? Check out these reviews written by some of my book blogging friends:
GreenBeanTeenQueen

Bless This Mouse by Lois Lowry
Published: March 21st 2011
Pages(hardcover): 192
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
ISBN: 0547390092 (ISBN13: 9780547390093)
Full disclosure: 
ARC received, for honest review, from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt via NetGalley.  

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.  

5 comments:

  1. I love Lois Lowry's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of her older children's books to read. The Giver. It is supposed to be a bit like Matched, so I thought I would give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delightful. I've always enjoyed stories about mice ever since I watched THE SECRET OF N.I.M.H when I was a kid. Rats though will always terrify me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)