Monday, August 8, 2011

Book review: The Dead Girl's Dance by Rachel Caine

**Warning it was hard to avoid spoilers from the first book in this series, Glass Houses, consider yourself warned. If you haven't read the first book yet check out my review of Glass Houses(#1 Morganville Vampires) by Rachel Caine**

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favours beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.
*Summary from Goodreads

My thoughts:
Glass Houses ended with a ginormous cliffhanger and I was really looking forward to read(listen to) The Dead Girl's Dance. I'm sorry to say that this book was a bit of a disappointment really. I liked the beginning of the story and I liked the end but I started disliking Claire.. She annoyed me, and when she is the main character you might guess that I had a hard time getting engaged in the story.


The story had too much focus on Claire trying to seduce Shane, or at least that's one of the things that bugged me(I was like not again Claire, leave that poor boy alone!), it just didn't feel right. The last part of the book was the best part; it consisted of Eve's diary entries. That was kind of what saved the book and made it interesting for me. I liked Shane's dad in the role of bad guy, he's a mean one! Big plus for the bad guys here.


Cover:
I think these, Morganville Vampires, covers are so pretty.


My rating of this book:
- I hope the third installment is better.




Want a second opinion? Check out these reviews written by some of my book blogging friends:
Parajunkee's View
Badass Bookie

Want to know more?
Add The Dead Girl's Dance  to your Goodreads wish list.
The Dead Girl's Dance by Rachel Caine
Published: 2007
Pages(paperback): 368
Publisher: NAL Jam
ISBN: 0451220897 (ISBN13: 9780451220899)
Full disclosure: Audiobook purchased from Audible 

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.

Previously Better know as

2 comments:

  1. Skimming since I have not read book 1...but this one did seem very meh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one, but was mostly bothered by the way they responded to the almost-attack on Claire, I had a moment of thinking 'that's not right to just let that go!!!'

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)