Monday, August 22, 2011

Book review: The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) by Amanda Stevens

Rule #1 - Never acknowledge their presence.

27 year old Amelia Gray is a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. Amelia has followed her fathers strict rules all her life, rules meant to keep her safe from the ghosts.One dark evening Amelia notices a man following her, he introduces himself as a police detective. From that moment on Amelia's life is about to change forever, she is soon in way over her head in a murder case and a hunted cop.

Want to read a novel that is creepiliciously good? If so The Restorer is just the novel you have been looking for. Also a big plus that author Amanda Stevens' main character, Amelia, is a fellow blogger.

My thoughts:
I've just got back from a trip to the graveyard with Amelia, who knew such a peaceful place could be the scene for such horrible crimes? The Restorer has been an addictive read from start to finish. I barely had time to rise to the surface for air. Author Amanda Stevens has succeeded in creating that eerie feeling, it stays with you throughout the whole novel, and I regretted reading it in bed after everyone else had fallen to sleep.

The main character Amelia felt like a friend, I loved her and at times I felt so sorry for her. I guess I'm not spoiling anything by telling you that there is some serious chemistry in the air between Amelia and the police detective John Devlin.

No cliffhanger ending in this first book but the author leaves enough loose ends for you to start craving the second book the minute you've closed this first one. Thankfully the next installment, The Kingdom, will be out in October.

One more thing, I just found out there will be a tv-series based on these books. How great is that?!

Book trailer:


Cover:
It is both creepy and beautiful - very much like the feeling of the story.


My rating of this book:
- Loved it!


Want a second opinion?
The Eclectic Reader
Serendipity

Want to know more?
Add The Restorer  to your Goodreads wish list.
Read Amanda's blog 
Follow Amanda on Twitter 

The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) by Amanda Stevens 
Published: 2011
Pages(paperback): 376
Publisher: Mira
ISBN: 077832981X (ISBN13: 9780778329817)
Full disclosure: 
Review copy from publisher via Netgalley

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of thing, thanks for the excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really love to read this, it sounds like a great read - how awesome that a show is being made from it! Some authors really hit the jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard this one is unputdownable:) I have it on my shelf and cannot wait to start it! And a huge YAY for no cliffhanger:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds good! I'm sorry my library doesn't have it, or I'd read it for sure.
    Mary, A Book A Day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you liked it :)
    For some reason I hear ghosts and go all meh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was jumping up and down when I saw you were reviewing this book. It is definitely my favourite book of the year!

    I didn't know anything about a TV series!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara Fisher March House Books: Thanks, Barbara, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

    mummazappa: I hope you get a chance to read it :)

    Jenny: Definitely a huge YAAAy for no cliffhanger. It's getting old.

    Mary:Who knows, it might show up there one day :)

    Blodeuedd:Oh, no, you should try this one!

    Vivienne:I discovered it when I read in Amanda Stevens blog. You should check out that post it's hilarious.

    Book Reviews From The Basement: Yaay, mission accomplished ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, i'm convinced on the creepiness. I have the prelogue, forget the title. I can't wait to read this one. Nice to know the next one is out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book. The first thing to grab me was the beautiful cover and the title. :) Can't wait to read your review of book two... off to check it out now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't started this series yet but since I only hear great things about it I must soon put it in schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denne fikk jeg veldig lyst til å lese! Takk for tips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really? The heroine is a blogger? How cool is that? Never heard of a blogger heroine before :-D I keep hearing wonderful things about this series, so my interest is piqued!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book is SO SO SO up my alley! Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  14. THE RESTORER does look amazing & YAY on no cliffhanger ending - so not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a series I'm going to love. Can't wait to get my hands on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I remember seeing this book on Amazon. I'm new to the world of paranormal romance. I never thought I would like it, but I really do. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy when books don't have cliff-hangers but leave enough loose threads that I want to immediately find out the answers.
    I also like when I get attached to a character which seems I might get attached to Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has been on my to-read list for quite a while. After reading your review, I am definitely going to boost it up!

    Emily
    Ed and Em's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds like a hoot of a book\tnx 4 the review

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like paranormal genre, that's why I'm sure I'm going to like this series. A cemetery restorer for the caharacter, very interesting. Can't wait to read it.

    Thank for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)