Friday, November 18, 2011

Book Review: All I Ever Wanted by Vikki Wakefield

Mim does not want to end up like her mother, her two criminal brothers or like anyone in her neighborhood really. She dreams of travelling the world and escapes in her much loved Lonely Planet books.

Mim has created a set of rules to live by and those will be her ticket out of the suburb. In just nine days Mim will be turning seventeen, little does she know that these nine days will change her life forever. It all begins when Mim's mother sends her out to do a 'pick up' and one by one Mim will be breaking her precious rules.

My thoughts:
I have been pondering for a few days now how to write my review of All I Ever Wanted. Sometimes it is so hard to do justice by a great story. There were just so many things that made me love this story. The writing was fabulous, the characters were interesting. Short said author Vikki Wakefield has written a charming, suspensful and heartwarming debut novel.

Most of all the characters I loved Mim, the MC, I could relate with her. Mim’s voice spoke to my sixteen year old self and I recognized so much of the younger me in her. Throughout the nine days we follow Mim on her journey she evolves in many ways and she learns that people aren't always what they seem (or things for that matter). The changes in Mim is brought about in a way that makes it feel real and not rushed even if it all happens in just nine days. I know I'm all Mim this and Mim that here but my post would be a mile long if I were to describe all the other wonderfully quirky characters in this story. I reckommend that you pick up this book to get to know them all!

All I Ever Wanted is a story about dreams and hope, family and friends that will keep you turning pages into the wee hours. This book has earned a place on my keeper shelf, not many books get to go there(on the top of my head I can only think of Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick and The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger that I have there).

If you like a good contemporary I strongly recommend that you check out All I Ever Wanted also if you are a fan of Melina Marchetta's writing this one is for you.

The cover:
It's growing on me.

My rating of this book:
- I fell in love with Mim and her 'people'.


Want to know more?
Add All I Ever Wanted to your Goodreads wish list
Visit Vikki's homepage
Full disclosure: Purchased.

This book can be purchased from a number of on-line book stores(and local ones for those of you living in Australia) such as Fishpond World(I'm not an affiliate). 
                                                                                                              

3 comments:

  1. I think this one sounds quite interesting! And I agree that it's sometimes hard giving a book justice when it's so good. Seems like you did a good job though, since I'm definitely intrigued! I'm sure it's an awesome read. :) Great review.

    Rebecca @ Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one,I will definitely look out for it. It sounds brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this one at all but OHMYGOODNESS!!! I freaking love Melina Marchetta, and if this one reminds you of her I am going to HAVE to hunt me down a copy!!! It sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)