Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Youth Media Awards and the Printz goes to...

Yesterday at the American Library Association (ALA) Midwinter Meeting the winners and honors of the Youth Media Awards were announced. There are several awards for the top books written for children and young adults being awarded at this event and one of them is the Michael L. Printz Award that "exemplifies literary excellence in young adult literature". It was first awarded in 2000 and is named after a high school librarian from Topeka that worked hard to ensure his students had access to good literature and encouraged writers to focus on young adult readers (read more about the award here). Previous winners are among others John Green, Libba Bray and Melina Marchetta. The blog Someday My Printz will Come have been speculating about the books they found likely to be considered for the award along with their readers. Take a look to see if they were right, because here comes the winner and the honors.

The Winner:
In Darkness written by Nick Lake



2013 Honor(s):

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

The White Bicycle by Beverley Brenna



Have you read any of these? I have just started listening to Code Name Verity and I know this was one of Mari's absolute favourites last year (there's a link to her review). I am definitely checking out In Darkness very soon as it sounds very good and interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting post Silje! I personally have not yet read any of those books, but I know Mari loved Code Name Verity (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only of these books that I am familiar with is my favorite :D I know of Pratchett as an author but I haven't heard of the book that has been listed as honored.

    I can't wait to hear what you think of the books you'll be reading, Silje. Especially Code Name Verity ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)