Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Book review: Insatiable by Meg Cabot


Insatiable is one of Meg Cabot's adult novels.

Summary borrowed from Goodreads:
Sick of vampires? So is Meena Harper. 

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn’t believe in them. 

Not that Meena isn’t familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you’re going to die (not that you’re going to believe her; no one ever does). 

But not even Meena’s precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets—then makes the mistake of falling in love with—Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side . . . a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for. 

The problem is, he already is dead. Maybe that’s why he’s the first guy Meena’s ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena’s always been able to see everyone else’s future, she’s never been able look into her own. 

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare. 

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future . . . 

If she even has one.

My thoughts:
Writing about vampires isn't for everyone and just because a lot of authors jumps on the bandwagon doesn't mean that everyone should. As you probably can tell from my first sentence I wasn't too impressed by Insatiable and I really haven't anything to write about the book at all. All the elements to create a good vampire story were present and that just might be the problem, it seemed like Cabot followed a receipt for a story. There wasn't anything special or original about Insatiable. Meena annoyed me, she used the term "as usual" way to many times and it felt strange that she used those words about a person she'd known for barely three minutes. I might be a tad bit too negative in this short review since this is the second book in a row that I couldn't get into(but hey at least I finished this one!). For me the most interesting part of the story was the authors note at the end of the book. I should perhaps have tried one of Cabot's YA novels instead? Now I need to read something good or else I'll lose my reading mojo :( 

The cover:
Seductive and it lured me into buying the novel. Sadly the content didn't reflect the sensual and mysterious cover.

My rating of this book:
2.5 stars out of 5

Want a second opinion? Check out these reviews written by some of my book blogging friends:

Want to know more?
Add Insatiable to your Goodreads wish list.
Visit Meg Cabot's homepage 
Follow Meg on Twitter

Insatiable by Meg Cabot
Published: June 2010
Pages(hardcover): 451
Publisher: William Morrow
ISBN: 006173506X (ISBN13: 9780061735066)
Full disclosure: 
Purchased(audibook from Audible)

This book can be purchased from a number of local retailers and on-line book stores such as Amazon or The Book Depository (I'm not an affiliate of either). The latter store does by the way have free shipping to about 100 countries.  


6 comments:

  1. Ugh, nothing worse than a reading lull! Hope you find something good to get you back into the swing of things soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a 2,5...eh, I am skipping this book. Didn't seem like something for me anyway

    I sure hope your next book is better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't like this book better!
    You should try Cabot's YA novels though!They're great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thought I should mention if anyone is buying Insatiable from the Book Depository, you can get a 10% discount code on their facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/BookDepository

    Current 10% discount code is:
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ebay/?a_aid=fkw

    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I ditched this half way. It drew me in with first chapter, i was like wow -Meena is good. And then I started to get bored and all.

    I don't know if I will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree I really dislike it when an author follows a formula to a book instead of writing a story for the love of the tale.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts =)